Patent protection for the digital age
With nearly a decade of experience helping businesses manage their patent portfolios, Ankur Garg has developed a strong track record in the high-tech arena. From software products and wireless communications to medical devices and consumer electronics, he’s worked with a variety of small start-ups and existing companies to create strategies that drive revenue and long-term growth.
Ankur counsels clients on a range of intellectual property matters, including preparation and prosecution of patent applications, infringement and validity opinions, freedom to operate analysis, and post-grant review and reexamination proceedings. Additionally, he supports the firm's litigation practice. An engineer himself, Ankur is particularly passionate about studying new technology and partnering with inventors to turn innovative ideas into secured, tangible assets that change the world.
Outside counsel with in-house experience
Prior to joining the firm, Ankur provided in-house patent counsel for a large telecommunications company, allowing him to see the challenges that businesses face through an internal lens. Today, he uses this valuable insight to offer clients a complete solution – one that protects their intellectual property and establishes a strategic plan for meeting overall business goals and objectives.
For many companies, determining whether an idea is worth seeking a patent can be difficult and often results in wasted time and resources when not assessed carefully. Ankur alleviates this problem by not only answering, but asking, all the right questions that consider both patentability and business interests. He is keen on developing personalized patent strategies that fit each client’s unique needs and values a collaborative effort to produce the best results.
A family man and travel enthusiast
Whether he’s engaging in professional development or satisfying his own interests, Ankur enjoys reading the latest tech blogs and staying up to speed on industry trends. He also enjoys playing golf, jogging, and traveling internationally with his wife, as well as spending time with family and friends.
- Communications Technologies
- Complex Software + IT
- Electronics + Semiconductor Technologies
- Financial Technology + Business Methods
- Medical Devices + Procedures
- Litigation + Dispute Resolution
- Patent Preparation + Prosecution
- Technology, Licensing + IP Transactions
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 2008
- B.S.E., summa cum laude, Computer Engineering, University of Michigan, 2005
- State Bar of California
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Young Attorneys Finalist, 2013
- Standards Essential Patent Portfolio Development (Chapter 6), Patents and Standards: Practice, Policy, and Enforcement, 2018