In the wireless communications industry, intellectual property has taken center stage as numerous companies vie for a piece of the enormous, yet rapidly growing, smartphone and tablet market. In addition to numerous small and midsize innovators, we have worked alongside major players in the wireless industry—including a major wireless technology pioneer and leading smartphone manufacturer—helping them build valuable patent portfolios and navigate the increasingly litigious wireless environment.
Due to our attorneys’ engineering backgrounds and advanced telecommunications training, we can speak with inventors at their level and quickly assimilate the technical aspects of their inventions.
We have drafted hundreds of standards-essential patents (those deemed essential to certain wireless standards) and analyzed the applicability of wireless standards to numerous other patents.
Our expertise covers a range of wireless standards, including:
- 4G GSM / LTE (Long Term Evolution)
- 3G UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunication System)
- CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access)
- GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications)
- GPRS (General Packet Radio Service)
Although patents play a crucial role in wireless standards, they are also a major cause of disputes, as the explosion of patent litigation in the smartphone industry demonstrates. We have successfully avoided lawsuits for both patent owners and potential infringers through strong pre-litigation due diligence activities and creative solutions and by negotiating agreements with adverse parties. Our pre-litigation strategies include:
- In-depth analysis of the patents at issue and their prosecution histories
- Review of prior art
- Negotiation of license agreements and other settlements
- Cease and desist letters
- Securing preliminary injunctive relief