Dissecting and defending: a thorough approach to patent applications
For nearly two decades, Frank Tolin has counseled clients on their intellectual property, from mom and pop inventors to Fortune 100 companies. His experience includes patent, trademark and copyright work across diverse technologies including MRI scanners, homeland security technology, microprocessors, medical devices, video-on-demand services and a variety of consumer products.
Frank’s philosophy is to draft applications that are both solid and easy to understand. By leveraging his electrical engineering technology degree, he translates complex inventions into plain and defendable language.
Clients appreciate Frank’s commitment to dissecting every invention thoroughly. He encourages inventors to consider their technology from a competitor’s perspective and to design any potential workarounds, which he also includes in the application to provide even greater IP protection for his clients.
Frank makes listening to clients a top priority, and does whatever it takes to guarantee inventors feel comfortable asking questions at any stage of the process. He maintains a 24-hour open-door policy, meaning clients can contact him—even at 2 a.m.—for those last-minute emergencies.
Investing in the community and the future of IP law
When he isn’t busy protecting his clients’ IP assets, Frank enjoys sharing his passion for technology and IP law with others.
He has volunteered with the Texas Inventors Association as a resource for inventors, and the Dallas Public Library has also invited Frank to speak on IP law issues.
Outside the office, Frank volunteers with the children’s ministry at his church and teaches Sunday school classes. He’s a self-proclaimed nerd and a true student of the law. In his free time, he likes to read and fish.
- Communications Technologies
- Consumer Products
- Electronics + Semiconductor Technologies
- Financial Technology + Business Methods
- Industrial Products
- Technology, Licensing + IP Transactions
- Medical Devices + Procedures
- Patent Preparation + Prosecution
- J.D., Touro Law Center, 1998
- B.Tech., Electrical Engineering, New York Institute of Technology
- United State Patent and Trademark Office
- New York State Bar
- New Jersey State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Touro Alumni Association
- New York Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- New Jersey Bar Association
- National Bar Association, IP Committee Treasurer