Virtual Patent Counsel
Small to medium-sized technology companies have a range of intellectual property legal needs, from counseling on how to acquire IP rights to guidance on maximizing and protecting their IP assets. For those companies that do not have the resources or the volume necessary to justify the expense of in-house counsel, Mr. Sheridan fills the gap, serving as their virtual patent counsel. In this role, he provides experienced, consistent and personalized service at a fraction of the cost of full-time in-house counsel.
Working as part of his clients’ teams, Mr. Sheridan is on-call to triage legal issues, answering executives’ questions and concerns, and providing customized strategic insight based on deep knowledge of his clients’ businesses. His clients value the ability to have a close, personal relationship with an attorney with Mr. Sheridan’s experience and of his caliber, but at service levels appropriate for small, mid-sized and early-stage companies.
As his clients’ virtual patent counsel, Mr. Sheridan assists in:
- Identifying patentable inventions
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications
- Selecting and registering trademarks, service marks and copyrights
- Negotiating technology transfers, including assignments, licensing and joint ventures
- Managing trade secrets
- Overall IP portfolio management