A trusted leader among peers in law and engineering
With firsthand experience in turning ideas into innovation, Jessie Herrera has established himself as a go-to resource for companies seeking to build, maintain, and protect their intellectual property. Prior to starting his practice, Jessie worked as a mechanical engineer designing industrial tools and equipment that have since paved the way for many of his current clients’ technologies. As a result, Jessie has developed a strong rapport within Houston’s energy industry, and leverages both his relationships and insight to guide some of the world's largest oil & gas service companies into positions of strength.
Client service rooted in strong values
Jessie began his tenure with the firm as a summer associate and quickly distinguished himself through quality work and a genuine interest in adding value to his clients’ businesses. Today, he is a well-rounded IP practitioner and provides a broad range of services, including helping companies structure their internal IP policies, advocating for patent rights at the USPTO, and counseling clients on obtaining maximum protection for their IP assets.
Educating others on the value of intellectual property is what Jessie has built his practice on. No matter the size of the client or the complexity of their industry, he prides himself on learning the ins and outs of their business to implement solutions tailored to their needs. Through his personal principles – working hard, investing time, and developing relationships – Jessie has earned the respect of his clients and colleagues alike, who rely on his diligence, deep knowledge, and authenticity.
Protecting innovation and design ideas both near and far
When he’s not studying a mechanical drawing for an innovative wellbore drilling tool, Jessie can be found preparing design patents for various consumer and industrial products – from popular electronics and children’s toys to hand tools and therapeutic devices. Now, more than ever, companies recognize the importance of protecting not only the functionality of their products but also the purely aesthetic features of their unique designs, both domestically and abroad. Thus, there is a need for foreign filing strategies that provide maximum protection worldwide in a cost-effective way. When faced with such critical decisions, clients can rely on Jessie’s robust knowledge of international patent laws and market practices to strategically file utility and design patents where they matter the most.
Making a difference in the community
Jessie’s passion for educating and serving others extends beyond his role at Patterson + Sheridan. As a board member of the Hispanic Bar Association of Houston, he is influential in furthering the advancement of Hispanics in the legal profession through mentorship programs, scholarships, and community service activities. Jessie also enjoys spending time with his family and cheering on his favorite football team, the Houston Texans.
- Technology, Licensing + IP Transactions
- Patent Preparation + Prosecution
- Oil + Gas Services
- Industrial Products
- Consumer Products
- Communications Technologies
- Electronics + Semiconductor Technologies
- Medical Devices + Procedures
- J.D., cum laude, South Texas College of Law, 2007 (Managing Editor, Texas Journal of Business Law)
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, The University of Texas, 2002
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Hispanic Bar Association of Houston
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- Leadership Houston
- National Hispanic Bar Association
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, 2018-2019
- Judicial Intern for Honorable Kenneth Hoyt, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- Judicial Intern for Honorable Jeff Bohm, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas
- Shell Oil Company, Summer Associate
- Cameron International Corporation, Design Engineer