Inventor-Turned Patent Attorney
Joe Stevens brings an innate understanding of technology to his work advising clients on intellectual property matters. An inventor himself, Joe holds 30 patents. Before becoming a patent attorney, he spent more than a decade as an engineer in the high-tech sector. He therefore understands first-hand both the legal and technical challenges of inventing new technologies, and he shares this unique dual perspective with his clients, helping them successfully navigate the patent portfolio development process.
From conducting freedom-to-operate analyses to sitting in on patent review board meetings, Joe provides his clients with strategic, tech-savvy advice on building and maximizing their portfolios. He also conducts due diligence studies of IP portfolios for asset management and corporate acquisitions, provides litigation support, and analyzes competitors’ portfolios to provide guidance on patent filing strategies.
Broad-Based Legal and Technical Expertise
Joe has generated and prosecuted patents in a wide range of technical areas, including semiconductor processing and equipment, solar cell devices, energy-related products, liquid-crystal displays (LCDs), light-emitting diode (LED) devices and fabrication technologies, medical devices, chemical processing, electro-optic technologies, MEMS technologies, thermal and plasma-based materials processing techniques and more. As innovations in technology continue, Joe is particularly positioned to guide his clients through patent generation and protection.
Committed to serving his community, Joe serves as the only attorney on the board of regents for the California Institute of Medical Research.
- Patent Preparation + Prosecution
- Technology, Licensing + IP Transactions
- Litigation + Dispute Resolution
- Electronics + Semiconductor Technologies
- Clean Technologies
- Consumer Products
- Communications Technologies
- Medical Devices + Procedures
- J.D., Santa Clara University, 2004
- M.S., Material Science and Engineering, Stanford University, 1991
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Minor in Material Science and Engineering-Metallurgy, California State Polytechnic University, 1989
- State Bar of California
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Northern California Rising Stars, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013 - 2015