A trusted litigator for bet-the-company cases and beyond
John Barr is an experienced trial lawyer who focuses his practice on complex litigation, including intellectual property, business and tort cases. With nearly 30 trials, arbitrations and appeals over the course of his more-than-two-decade career, he has handled matters in courts throughout the United States. John has handled a variety of significant matters including multi-million dollar cases related to patent infringement, trade secrets, Hatch-Waxman, breach of contract, products liability, fiduciary litigation, oil and gas, and environmental litigation.
John is a sixth-generation Texan. He is often hired as lead counsel in challenging patent cases in the Eastern District of Texas, where he grew up and has significant trial experience. John has handled more than 50 patent suits, including more than 30 in the Eastern District of Texas. John and his team received national recognition when they won one of the first defense verdicts in a patent infringement matter in the Eastern District of Texas.
High-profile experience in precedent-setting cases across the country
John has been very successful in jury trials and has the ability to make complicated business and technology matters understandable to lay persons. He runs cost-effective legal teams and has been instrumental in resolving many matters before trial, whether in mediation or by summary judgment. In a particularly significant matter, John was lead counsel in one of the first hydraulic fracturing cases in the country, which his oil field service client won on summary judgment. In another products liability matter in a difficult jurisdiction, John was able to obtain a directed verdict from the court in favor of his client, a product manufacturer.
In appellate matters, John has briefed and argued appeals in state and federal courts, including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and in state appellate courts in Texas and Pennsylvania.
John also represents clients in domestic and international arbitrations.
- J.D., Texas Tech University
- B.A., Sewanee: The University of the South, with honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- State Bar of Texas
- Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Master of the Bench
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property, Chambers USA, 2010-Present
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Preeminent™ Rating
- Energy: Litigation, Legal 500, 2013
- The Word's Leading Patent Practitioners, IAM Patent Litigation 250, 2013
- Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Professionals , Intellectual Asset Management, 2011–Present
- IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property, 2013, 2015
- 20 Top IP Litigators in Houston, Houston Business Journal, 2011
- Rising Star, Texas Super Lawyers, 2004-2006
- The Honorable William Wayne Justice, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas