High-Tech Meets High-Performance
In the complex software industry, it helps to have an attorney who speaks programmers’ language — quite literally. With the ability to write computer code himself, Jon Stewart offers clients the knowledge that comes with a decade of experience in patent preparation and prosecution for computer technologies that often pose unique challenges when obtaining IP rights.
Jon has extensive expertise in drafting applications and providing strategic insight for a range of software, Internet and communications-related intellectual assets, including:
- Computer networking
- Computer security
- Cryptography, including user authentication, network protocols, virus and malware detection
- Network protocols
- Artificial intelligence technologies that facilitate machine learning through data analysis
- Video analytics
- Big data
A background in computer science and internet security ensures Jon understands the technical nature of his clients’ products often right away. With a focus on his clients’ needs and budget, he translates their input into patent applications that are easy for computer programmers, engineers and in-house counsel to approve sometimes first round. His effective writing skills eliminate multiple rounds of revisions and streamline the process for his clients.
Open-Source Expertise, Inside and Out
Developing intellectual property with open-source code poses an array of potential legal pitfalls. Whether clients are looking to gain market share or position themselves for acquisition, Jon counsels them on the conflicts and compliance issues that may arise during development.
As a former contributor to open-software projects, Jon brings a unique and multifaceted perspective to code clearance and open-source counseling. Conducting a thorough analysis and audit of software licenses, he often advises clients to mitigate risk through dual licensing or clean-room development techniques, where products are reverse engineered to ensure no copyrights are infringed upon.
- Complex Software + IT
- Communications Technologies
- Patent Preparation + Prosecution
- Technology, Licensing + IP Transactions
- J.D., University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law, 1998
- B.S., Computer Science and Mathematics, Westminster College
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Utah State Bar Association