Extensive patent and trademark experience from the U.S. to China
Nan Carr is a patent and trademark attorney. She splits her time between patent prosecution and trademark prosecution, and her clients benefit from her experience in both areas.
Nan’s patent practice focuses in the field of electronics and semiconductor technologies, oil and gas technologies, and industrial products. She works with all types of clients, from large international corporations to local startups. She enjoys her daily exposure to innovative ideas and gains a sense of accomplishment from helping her clients protect these ideas.
She is particularly interested in obtaining non-traditional trademarks. As more companies seek innovative ways to differentiate their products, they are turning to these non-traditional trademarks, which are based on factors like shape, sound, scent and color.
Native Chinese speaker with know-how that spans the globe
Nan is a native Chinese speaker. She regularly counsels Chinese clients who are seeking IP protection in the U.S. as well as domestic clients who are expanding their business in China. She facilitates converting patent disclosures in Chinese into U.S. patent applications — a cost-saving measure that attracts clients looking for a one-stop-shop.
Always pursuing efficiency and a new challenge
In the complex world of patents and trademarks, Nan strives to keep things as simple and seamless as possible. She believes in concise communication and builds her patent applications in short, clear sentences.
After more than a decade at Patterson + Sheridan, Nan has evolved in her role from a technical advisor to a practicing attorney. That well-rounded background gives her the confidence to take on a wide range of IP issues.
When she’s not crafting patent and trademark applications, Nan enjoys sewing, knitting, crocheting, running and listening to audiobooks.
- Clean Technologies
- Consumer Products
- Electronics + Semiconductor Technologies
- Financial Technology + Business Methods
- Industrial Products
- Oil + Gas Services
- Patent Preparation + Prosecution
- Brand Protection
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Texas Tech University
- M.E., Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- B.E., Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)