Bruce Patterson brings a well-rounded perspective to counseling clients, built through decades of work tackling numerous IP challenges, including utility and design patents, trademarks, copyrights, licensing, and more. Bruce serves as head of the firm’s trademark section and has deep expertise in consumer products, hand tools, and oilfield services.
Before joining the firm in 1999, Bruce spent nearly a decade in-house at Cooper Industries, where he managed the international trademark portfolios of the Champion Spark Plug and Cameron Iron Works divisions. In this role he gained a broad base of knowledge, working with a variety of departments from marketing to sales and research and development. When counseling clients, he draws upon his first-hand knowledge of their challenges and opportunities and broad experience to provide a holistic, value-driven approach.
Bruce is often asked to consult in the early stages of developing or assessing an intellectual property strategy, as he is known for his ability to analyze the strategy from all angles without any blind spots or preconceived opinions. He asks vital questions on the client’s industry, competitors, technology, products, markets, overseas activity, opportunities for growth, existing IP portfolio, and more to help clients critically analyze their approach for IP value creation and protection.
A long-time active member of the International Trademark Association, Bruce frequently coordinates with European and Asian law firms to secure and protect intellectual property rights in overseas markets for his clients.
- 07.25.22 Federal Circuit Summaries For Week Ending June 10, 2022
- 07.16.20 Federal Circuit Court Decisions For Week Ending May 22, 2020
- 05.07.18 Federal Circuit Court Decisions For Week Ending April 13, 2018
- 05.31.17 Federal Circuit Court Decisions For Week Ending May 12, 2017
- 12.06.16 Federal Circuit Court Decisions For Week Ending November 18, 2016
- 05.03.16 Federal Circuit Court Decisions For Week Ending April 22, 2016
- 05.08.15 Federal Circuit Court Decisions For Week Ending April 24, 2015
- 03.26.15 B&B Hardware, Inc. v. Hargis Industries, Inc. (March 24, 2015) (7-2)
- 05.29.14 Federal Circuit Decisions for Week Ending May 23, 2014
- 07.12.13 Federal Circuit Decisions for Week Ending July 5, 2013
- 03.13.13 Copyright Protection and Employee Email Searches
- 03.13.13 Sam and ReCeSS, A Remote-Controlled Sleeper Sofa
- 03.04.13 AIA Update – Final Rules, September 16, 2012