Federal Circuit Summary for Week Ending September 1, 2023
Bot M8 LLC v. Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC, Nos. 2022-1569, 2022-1570 (August 30, 2023) (nonprecedential); Patent Nos. 8,112,670 & 7,664,988
- Different claim elements are not necessarily distinct simply because they are listed separately.
Bright Data LTD v. Bi Science (2009) LTD, Nos. 2020-2118, 2020-2181, 2021-1664, 2021-1667_(August 30, 2023) (nonprecedential); Patent Nos. 9,742,866 & 9,241,044
- If both parties file a joint motion noticing the court of a settlement, the settlement may be incorporated into the final judgment regardless of whether the settlement agreement was the final or formal agreement.
Universal Electronics, Inc. v. Roku, Inc., Nos. 2021-2128; 2021-2129_(August 28, 2023) (nonprecedential); Patent Nos. 7,821,504 & 7,821,505
- If prior art is in the same field as the patent-in-suit, the art is analogous even if in a different field of endeavor than other art utilized in a 103 rejection.
USC IP Partnership, L.P. v. Bi Science (2009) Meta Platforms, Inc., No. 2022-1397_(August 30, 2023) (nonprecedential); Patent No. 8,645,300
- Conclusory expert opinions do not present a genuine material factual dispute to prevent summary judgment.
Sisvel International S.A. v. Sierra Wireless, Inc., Nos. 2022-1387 & 2022-1492_(September 1, 2023) (precedential) (3-0); Patent Nos. 7,433,698 & 8,364,196
- Broadening a limitation in a claim is not permissible in IPR proceedings even if other limitations are narrowed.
- Even if the PTAB provides claim amendment suggestions, the PTAB retains authority to reject the amendment.
In re Cellect, LLC, Nos. 2022-1293, 2022-1294, 2022-1295, 2022-1296_(August 28, 2023) (precedential) (3-0); Patent Nos. 6,982,742, 6,424,369, 6,452,626, 7,002,621
- Patent term extension (PTE) and patent term adjustment (PTA) are not factored into an obviousness type double patenting (ODP) analysis in the same manner.
- The expiration date used for ODP analysis where a patent has received PTA is the expiration date after the PTA has been added.