Early pioneer in Houston’s IP market
When Todd Patterson founded Patterson & Streets in May of 1996, he was driven by just one goal: making his clients successful. A lot has changed since then, including our name, but Todd’s devotion to client service continues to guide the firm, shaping how its 60-plus attorneys provide domestic and international intellectual property services. Starting with just one client, global semiconductor equipment manufacturer Applied Materials, Todd and his partners earned a reputation for technical expertise, exemplary service, and a strong work ethic. Soon the young firm boasted other major clients such as Weatherford International, IBM, and Exxon Mobil, all of whom remain clients to this day.
Todd’s success in building one of the largest intellectual property law firms in Houston is rooted in strong values instilled at an early age. Encouraged by his father to learn how things work, he would spend most summers during his teenage years installing and repairing air conditioners – which were no match for Houston’s soaring temperatures. By learning the mechanical and electrical processes behind his trade, Todd sparked a passion for working with complex technology that, today, drives revenue for many of the world’s largest companies.
Seasoned strategist, trusted advisor
When it comes to helping companies capitalize on their patent portfolios, Todd’s astute advice and impeccable standard of excellence are a winning combination. With decades of intellectual property experience under his belt, he now serves as a seasoned strategist and trusted advisor, providing sophisticated guidance in portfolio development and management, patent analysis, litigation, and risk assessment.
From a technical standpoint, Todd’s practice encompasses a number of specialties, including electronics and semiconductors, telecommunications, complex software, and mechanical and chemical engineering. He’s particularly well-versed in upstream and downstream oil and gas operations, fuels and lubricants chemical solutions, and wind and solar-powered clean technologies. He puts his technical expertise to work on a range of matters and has served as an expert witness in multiple patent law cases, as well as successfully defended both patentees and third parties in reexamination and reissue proceedings.
Known for his transparency and diligence in tackling problems head-on, Todd offers companies practical and sustainable solutions for minimizing risks while maximizing revenue.
Power in collaboration
Todd’s client service philosophy was, and still is, central to Patterson + Sheridan becoming the powerhouse patent firm that it is today. While he’s been fortunate to partner with some of the biggest industry leaders, Todd never takes for granted the opportunity to serve clients of all sizes, ranging from small startups to Fortune 500 companies. He’s inspired daily by the innovative people he works with and considers them the best teachers of an education that can’t be bought.
Todd also values strong, supportive relationships within our firm. He enjoys coaching young associates and goes the extra mile to help foster their professional development. His highly collaborative leadership style ensures that when clients hire our firm, they are strategically aligned with the best attorneys and legal staff to meet their needs.
Defensive maneuvers for work and play
With deep ties to Baylor University, Todd is an avid supporter of the school’s academics and athletics. When he’s not doing a little defensive maneuvering to protect clients’ IP, he’s usually watching it happen during one of the Bears’ football or basketball games. He also enjoys water sports and activities, visiting any beach, and spending time with friends and family.
- Biotechnology + Pharmaceuticals
- Communications Technologies
- Electronics + Semiconductor Technologies
- Medical Devices + Procedures
- Oil + Gas Services
- Litigation + Dispute Resolution
- Technology, Licensing + IP Transactions
- J.D., cum laude, South Texas College of Law, 1993
- The University of Texas Dental Branch
- B.S., Science, Baylor University, 1990
- State Bar of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- South Texas College of Law Alumni Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- The Sedona Conference, Working Group 5 (The Markman Process and Claim Construction)
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Nancy F. Atlas Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Master of the Bench
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013 - 2016
- Texas' Best Lawyers, Best Lawyers® 2015