Technical Background, Thorough Approach
Since joining the firm nearly two decades ago, Gero McClellan has specialized in patent preparation, prosecution and strategic counseling for some of the world’s largest tech companies. Clients rely on his responsiveness and attention to detail when providing counsel for technologies and innovations ranging from business analytics and cloud computing software to semiconductor-based optics and wind energy.
With a background in physics, Gero easily gets to the core of his clients’ inventions, then carefully balances client objectives and budget with a thorough, yet expedient approach to evaluating IP assets.
Extensive Experience in Complex Software
Due to his substantial expertise in the complex software space, Gero spearheaded our expansion into Greensboro, where the office is strategically located only miles from one of the nation’s largest software hubs, The Research Triangle Park. The office now boasts nearly a dozen seasoned IP attorneys serving some of the world’s largest software companies.
Leveraging his career-long focus in complex software, he frequently provides IP counsel for clients including a leading global technology company with a record number of patents, a Fortune 500 networking equipment provider and a world-renowned innovator in film animation and rendering software.
Intersecting Patent Preparation and Prosecution with Litigation
As a member of the firm’s leadership committee, Gero focuses on integrating the patent litigation and prosecution groups. By emphasizing the direct relationship between the two disciplines, he empowers the attorneys in both practice areas to better serve their clients.
- 02.28.14 Brief of Amicus Curiae Altera Corporation, HTC Corporation, HTC America, Inc., SmugMug, Inc. and Weatherford International in Support of Petitioner, Limelight Networks, Inc. v. Akamai Technologies, Inc. and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, No. 12-786, United States Supreme Court
- 02.05.14 Brief of Amicus Curiae The American Intellectual Property Law Association in Support of Neither Party, Alice Corp. PTY. LTD. v. CLS Bank International, No. 13-298, United States Supreme Court
- 03.04.13 Brief of Amicus Curiae The American Intellectual Property Law Association in Support of Alice Corporation PTY. LTD.
- 02.07.13 The Impact of Changes to 37 CFR – 1.121
- 02.07.13 National Entry into the United States from an International Application
- 11.16.20 An IP-driven approach to M&A: How we helped a Fortune 500 company seek out a strategic business partner
- 08.14.18 3 Ways Patterson + Sheridan Helps a Fortune 50 Tech Company Develop the Highest Quality Patents
- 05.25.17 Using Subject-Matter Eligibility as a Sword and Shield When Protecting Clients’ IP
- 06.17.15 Strategic Approach Enables Client to Dramatically Increase Annual Patent Filings
- 09.11.13 Evaluating Portfolios, Assessing Risks